Do’s & Don’ts of Basement FinishingSchedule Free Inspection
Eliminate Moisture Problems. By installing a dehumidifier, you can eliminate moisture for a dry, healthy basement.
When finishing your basement there are a few things to keep in mind as to what you should and shouldn’t do. Here at Ohio Basement Systems, we can explain to you your many options and help you create the basement space you’ve always wanted by starting with a waterproof basement.
There are several elements to consider when remodeling your basement that will help make the process easier. Listed below are all the things you should discuss with your basement finishing contractor to be sure that you are getting a quality, long-lasting space.
We specialize in basement waterproofing for homes throughout the Greater Cleveland area including Cleveland, Akron, Strongsville and nearby. Call us today to schedule a free consultation and on-site estimate!
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Eliminate moisture – Moisture can ruin your basement, which is why it’s smart to waterproof your basement before finishing. When water enters your basement it creates dampness, an environment for mold to grow. By installing a dehumidifier and sealing your basement, Ohio Basement Systems can eliminate moisture and clean the air.
- Double-check local building codes – As you know, different areas have a multitude of different building codes. It is important that you and your contractor discuss the particulars before any installation has begun. However, it’s important to make sure that your basement is waterproofed, whether codes require it or not.
- Accentuate the positive areas of your basement – Your basement may not acquire natural light to let into the space, but the amount of floor space is something to utilize. Your basement design team can help you make the most out of it, so why not protect that space with a quality waterproofing job?
- Consider all design options – Your contractor will have several basement finishing design ideas that can help your basement transform into a space you’ve always wanted, from home theaters to extra living space. Protect that investment in your dream design by ensuring your basement is properly waterproofed.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T DO:
- Overlook the smaller details – Specific aspects should also be discussed during your on-site consultation with your basement contractor. Things like lighting, ductwork, columns, joists and trim all require attention. Since your basement won’t be receiving much natural light, lighting is extremely important. That’s one of the reasons why a quality waterproofing job is vital to the success of your project, as the lack of light can lead to mold growth in damp environments.
- Stress to figure out every aspect – Most contractors can provide you with a virtual walkthrough of your basement’s design with software. But after the initial design is complete, the little details are yours to decide. You can add custom furniture, pictures, posters, and other decorative elements without the fear that they will be ruined over time by making sure that your basement is waterproofed properly before.
- Question the investment – Your basement will significantly add to the value of your home. Whether you plan on selling your home or not, you now have a beautifully finished space that can be used for virtually anything. This added space can be an extra living space or a room to store all your most valuable items. By having your basement waterproofed properly, it will be an investment you wish you never questioned!
Last Modified Date:
1 Marion Ave, Suite 309
Mansfield, OH 44903
7950 Bavaria Rd.
Twinsburg, OH 44087
159 Crocker Park Blvd, 4th floor
Westlake, OH 44145
35475 Vine St, Suite 216,
Willowick, OH 44095
8531 Market St.
Youngstown, OH 44512