Causes of Sagging Floors over a crawl space
So you know the floors and sagging and can feel that the floor is not level, but what created the problem of sagging floors over a crawl space?
1) Existing block or brick columns are spaced too far apart. When a crawl space is built, block or brick (even wood) columns are located throughout the crawl space to support the weight of the structure above. If those columns are spaced too far apart, the beam or girder can become overloaded and sag between the columns. When the girder sags, so does the floor above it.
2) Weakened floor joists and girders due to moisture and wood rot. Because crawl spaces are often unsealed from the earth, excess moisture and humidity is a problem. And what happens to wood when it has been exposed to moisture and humidity? It begins to rot, get moldy and become weak. Yuck! The weakened girders and floor joists can not support the weight above, and the floor above the crawl space become bouncy, soft and may begin to sag.
3) Existing columns settle due to weak soil. Weak soil can cause the existing columns in the crawl space to sink or settle, often creating a gap between the top of the column and the bottom of the girder it was supporting. Once the column settles, then the girder sags and the floors above sag. It’s a chain reaction.
“WHAT ARE THE SIGNS? HOW WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE THIS PROBLEM?”
Some of the more typical signs include:
- Sloping floors, sometimes creating a gap between the floor and interior walls.
- Cracks in interior walls and door frames out of level, caused by a wall sinking along the floor.
- Gaps between existing columns and girders in the crawl space.
- Evidence of moisture, wood rot, and compression of the floor joists in the crawl space.
At Ohio Basement Systems, we are dedicated to helping homeowners understand the problems that might develop in a home’s crawl space; and to offer expert opinions and solutions to resolve those problems. With over 30 years of experience in the field, we stand by our expertise and knowledge, assured that we have the best crawl space repair solutions to offer our customers.
If your crawl space is showing any signs like those listed above, please call a Foundation repair expert right away. We will inspect your crawl space and offer a customized solution to fit your needs and budget.