If you see gaps between the walls and floors in your house, it indicates that your foundation could have a problem. These gaps don’t just look unpleasant, but they can also result in significant structural problems if left unattended.
With more than 25 years of experience in evaluating and repairing foundation issues, such as wall and floor gaps, Ohio Basement Systems can restore your home
What Are Floor Gaps?
Floor and wall gaps are visible spaces or cracks between the floor and walls inside your home. Floor gaps occur when the floor pulls away from the baseboards, starting small but expanding over time as the underlying foundation issue worsens.
It’s important to pay attention to floor gaps, as they indicate that your foundation is damaged and can no longer adequately support the structure of your home. Other common signs of foundation damage that accompany floor and wall gaps include:
At OBS, we provide advanced solutions to permanently repair floor gaps and address any underlying foundation issues.
What Causes Floor and Wall Gaps?
Several issues can cause the floors in your home to separate from the walls:
One of the most frequent causes of foundation issues is foundation settlement, leading to an inability to adequately support the foundation and causing various sections to sink or settle at different rates. This can result in cracks and gaps between the floors and walls.
Damaged Floor Joists
If your home is built over a crawl space and the floor joists are deteriorating, whether from over-spanning or moisture damage like wood rot, you may notice that they begin to sag. This can cause visible gaps between floors and walls and can also lead to flooring failures due to a lack of proper support.
Some soil types, such as clay, can significantly expand and shrink as their moisture content changes. When wet, the soil can push foundations upward; during dry periods, it can create spaces that cause sinking. This cyclical movement of the soil strains structures, leading to gaps in floors and walls.
Can You Fix Floor Gaps?
Floor and wall gaps can be repaired, but the solution will depend on the underlying cause. It is crusical to address any foundation issues first to avoid simply patching over the gaps, which will only temporarily solve the problem.
How to Fix Floor Gaps
At OBS, our foundation repair experts conduct a thorough inspection of your home to determine the origin of the floor and wall gaps. We will then develop a customized plan to rectify your foundation, using advanced techniques such as:
- Foundation Piers: Our SettleStop™ foundation piers are installed underneath sinking foundations to transfer the home’s weight to more stable soil. We utilize two types of piers: helical piers and push piers. These underpinning methods permanently support and potentially lift the foundation to close gaps.
- Crawl Space Supports: Our adjustable IntelliJack™ crawl space support posts are installed beneath failing floor joists to permanently support floors and possibly help lift them.
With over 25 years of experience, Ohio Basement Systems has the expertise to choose the right solutions to permanently fix your home’s floor and wall gaps.
Why Address Floor and Wall Gaps Now?
It’s important to address floor and wall gaps as soon as possible because:
- Prevent Further Damage – Unrepaired gaps can worsen and cause serious structural failures like collapsed walls or floors.
- Avoid More Expensive Repairs – The longer you wait, the more expensive the repairs will be. Temporary fixes are not cost-effective and may make the problem worse.
- Avoid Other Issues – Open gaps allow moisture and pests to enter your foundation, leading to mold, wood rot, and infestations.
- Improve Comfort – Gaps make it difficult to regulate indoor temperature, leading to uncomfortable drafts and higher energy bills.
- Protect Property Value – Unaddressed foundation problems that cause gaps can significantly lower the value of your home.
Floor and wall gaps are a sign of underlying foundation issues that will only become worse and more expensive to fix over time. Contact the foundation repair experts at Ohio Basement Systems for a permanent solution to stay ahead of the issue.
Choose Ohio Basement Systems for Floor Gap Repair
If you notice gaps forming between the walls and floors of your home, it’s essential not to ignore the signs of foundation damage. Fortunately, OBS offers reliable and custom-engineered solutions to repair floor and wall gaps by stabilizing your foundation.
Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and learn about our affordable financing options. Our foundation repair experts will thoroughly assess your home, explain the best solutions, and help you find a payment plan that fits easily into your budget. Protect your most valuable investment and gain peace of mind about your home with Ohio Basement Systems.
Most minor floor and wall gaps can be repaired in 1-2 days once a plan is designed. However, severe foundation damage causing gaps may take 1-2 weeks to fully stabilize and restore.
No, simply patching over gaps with caulk or foam does not address the underlying foundation damage causing them. DIY repairs do not work. Structural foundation repairs are the only solution to permanently stabilize your home.
Last Modified Date:
Explore more problem signs
1 Marion Ave, Suite 309
Mansfield, OH 44903
7950 Bavaria Rd.
Twinsburg, OH 44087
159 Crocker Park Blvd, 4th floor
Westlake, OH 44145
35475 Vine St, Suite 216,
Willowick, OH 44095
8531 Market St.
Youngstown, OH 44512