Your home’s foundation is crucial for its strength and longevity. If your foundation settles, your family’s safety and your home’s structural integrity are at risk. You can see if your foundation is settling through symptoms such as uneven floors and stair-step wall cracks, which can be unsettling for any homeowner. It’s important to address these issues promptly to prevent further damage.
Ohio Basement Systems specializes in foundation repair solutions, including foundation piers designed to permanently stabilize and potentially lift your settling foundation. Our pier options (push, helical, and slab) are customized to meet your repair needs, ensuring a safe and stable home.
What Are Foundation Piers?
Foundation piers are structural elements that are driven deep into the ground to reach stable soil or bedrock. They act as stable columns that allow the weight of the home to be transferred through the piers and down to more stable ground, preventing future settling. Additionally, foundation piers can lift the house back towards its original position.
The pier systems provide permanent stability, ensuring that your property is not vulnerable to shifting or expansive soil.
Foundation piers can be part of a larger strategy for whole-home solutions, including basement waterproofing, crawl space repair, and more. In summary, foundation piers are essential to a comprehensive approach to maintaining your home’s structural health.
Signs You Need Foundation Piers
To solve a settling foundation issue, you need to recognize its signs first. Look for these common symptoms around your home:
- Cracked foundation walls
- Drywall cracks
- Drywall nail pops
- Uneven floors
- Sticking doors and windows
- Cracked bricks
- Floor gaps
- Cracking or leaning chimney
If you observe any of these signs, contact a foundation repair professional like Ohio Basement Systems immediately. We offer free foundation inspections and suggest customized repair solutions.
Are Foundation Piers Necessary?
Foundation piers are necessary to permanently stabilize settling foundations and prevent further damage. It’s important to address foundation settlement as soon as possible to keep repair costs affordable. Postponing needed foundation piers can lead to exponentially higher costs as damage worsens over time.
As experts in basement repair, we recommend acting at the first signs of trouble. We also provide appropriate basement repair solutions for other damage, such as bowing walls caused by hydrostatic pressure. Our team takes into account factors such as the type and extent of damage when devising a customized repair plan for your home.
What Are the Different Types of Foundation Piers?
Ohio Basement Systems uses three types of pier systems (helical, push, and slab) to handle the soil conditions in Ohio. Each pier system has the same function but differs in its application.
Here is how our pier systems work and how we install them:
Our SettleStop™ Helical Pier System uses steel piers with circular helical plates at their ends that anchor your home to the stable soil below, acting like screws. This system guarantees a strong foundation for your property.
Helical piers are versatile and ideal for supporting lighter structures in various situations.
The installation process involves:
- Excavating the soil to expose the footing
- Using hydraulic equipment to advance the piers into the soil
- Monitoring the piers’ progress until they reach the required depths and capacities
- Attaching a durable steel bracket to the footing
- Benchmarking the piers with small rivets in exterior walls
- Backfilling excavated soil
The SettleStop™ Push Piers work similarly to helical piers, but they have a different design and installation process. The push piers are long steel rods that are pushed into the ground using powerful machinery, and they rely on the house’s resistance for stability.
Here are the steps we take to install them:
- Excavate the soil to expose the foundation footing.
- Attach a footing bracket.
- Drive the piers through the bracket and deep into the ground.
- Monitor the depths and capacities.
- Place benchmarks on the exterior walls.
- Backfill the removed soil.
The SettleStop™ Slab Piers from Ohio Basement Systems provide targeted support specifically designed for homes with slab foundations. Our installation process includes:
- Removing any flooring
- Auguring a hole through the slab to expose the footing
- Placing a bracket under the footing
- Advancing sections of the piers into the ground
- Monitoring depths and capacities
- Affixing a bracket to the slab
- Pouring concrete into the hole to ensure a smooth finish
Ohio Basement Systems offers a unique line of each type of pier that is personalized according to your needs and foundation type.
What Are the Benefits of Foundation Piers?
Our pier systems are designed to provide maximum strength and longevity. We customize every installation to fit the unique needs of your home, so that you can experience the following benefits:
- Long-term Stability: Our pier systems guarantee permanent stabilization of your foundation.
- Prevent Further Settling: In addition to providing stability, our piers prevent your home from settling further into the ground.
- Avoid Related Foundation Damage: Our piers prevent additional foundation damage, such as bowing walls.
- Protect Your Foundation: Our durable pier systems ensure your foundation is protected for years to come.
- Potential for Foundation Lifting: If the installation crew determines it is safe, additional pressure can be added to the piers during installation to potentially lift settling sections of your foundation.
- Comprehensive Warranty: Each pier is protected by a nationally-backed, transferrable, lifetime warranty.
To experience the full benefits of our foundation pier solutions, choose Ohio Basement Systems. Contact us today to learn how our exclusive piers can help your home.
Why Our Foundation Piers Are the Best Choice for Your Home
Our foundation pier systems have several benefits that set them apart:
- They are superior to standard piers and piles.
- We use a proprietary design optimized for Ohio soils.
- They are designed for long-lasting durability and performance.
- They are protected by a comprehensive warranty.
- They are included in our annual maintenance service plan.
Contact Ohio Basement Systems for Foundation Piers Today!
At Ohio Basement Systems, we understand the importance of taking care of your home’s foundation. Settling foundations can’t resolve on their own and neglecting them can lead to serious problems. Our experienced team has been repairing settling homes for over 25 years, so you can trust us to do the job right the first time.
Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and estimate. Let us help you create a safe and stable home.
Foundation piers are typically the best option for addressing foundation settling and sinking. The specific pier used depends on the extent of damage and your home’s foundation type. Contact Ohio Basement Systems for a free inspection to determine the best repair customized to your home.
Slab piers are a specialized foundation repair solution with a specific purpose. They are tailored to homes with a concrete slab foundation rather than a basement or crawl space. Contact Ohio Basement Systems for a free inspection to verify the need for slab piers or other repairs for your home.
Without industrial-grade equipment, installing foundation piers on your own is impossible. The process is highly specialized and requires expertise, experience, and equipment based on your home’s foundation and damage. Trust Ohio Basement Systems for your foundation pier installation needs.
Last Modified Date:
Explore more solutions
1 Marion Ave, Suite 309
Mansfield, OH 44903
7950 Bavaria Rd.
Twinsburg, OH 44087
159 Crocker Park Blvd, 4th floor
Westlake, OH 44145
35475 Vine St, Suite 216,
Willowick, OH 44095
8531 Market St.
Youngstown, OH 44512